With the arrogance of youth, I determined to do no less than to transform the world with Beauty. If I have succeeded in some small way, if only in one small corner of the world, amongst the men and women I love, then I shall count myself blessed, and blessed, and blessed, and the work goes on. -- William Morris

Monday, April 27, 2009

Uhhhhhhhhhh-Oh!!!

So today, all academic obligations for the semester are satisfied. The Lord has truly risen! I've been intending to comment more, or perhaps to think through the issue via blog, concerning the Notre Dame- Obama drama. I wanted to address specifically JB's comment about eating with sinners and tax collectors. However, for the moment, I simply had to draw people's attention to this!

I've had trouble articulating my thoughts on this issue before. Sometimes discussions with friends make me think my resistance is just nuts; other times the pendulum swings in the opposite direction. But Glendon's reasoning here seems to me eminently reasonable. It seems to point to two of the major points underlying my own stance: a commencement is not the occasion for this kind of thing; and an honorary degree is really the meat of the problem. Not to mention I think ecclesial obedience should be a factor in this discussion as well.

I'll post more on this soon. But for now: Sh*t, meet fan!

Pax Christi,

1 Comments:

  • At 5/10/2009 5:38 PM, Blogger RAnn said…

    Hi, I'm RAnn and I'd like to invite you to participate in Sunday Snippets--A Catholic Carnival. It is a successor to the Catholic Carnival run by Jay at Living Catholicism for many years. It is a way to share our best posts with the Catholic blogging community. Each week, I will create a Sunday Snippets post that includes Mr. Linky. If you want to participate, create a post on your blog highlighting your best post(s) of the week, and linking both to them and to the master post on my blog. Then, go to my blog and use Mr. Linky to link us to your post. This week's post is http://rannthisthat.blogspot.com/2009/05/sunday-snippets-catholic-carnival_09.html

    I have been asked by people who post infrequently if they can just use Mr. Linky to link directly to their featured post, without creating a Sunday Snippets post. Since one purpose of Sunday Snippets is for bloggers to share their posts with those who do not regularly read their blog, and to share their readers with other bloggers, if you choose to do that, please include a link to Sunday Snippets in your post. If you click on Luuk's name on this week's post, you'll see someone who does that.

    If you'd like a weekly reminder to participate, you may subscribe to our yahoogroup. http://rannthisthat.blogspot.com/2009/05/sunday-snippets-catholic-carnival_09.html

     

Post a Comment

<< Home